ASL Stuff [Or, In Other Words, I Don't Have a Clever Title For This Post]

In the midst of [trying to] learn Russian, I am also taking a sign language class at a local community college with my good friend Hart.

!!!!!!

Inorite???

That was a smart idea.

Between Russian grammar (just shoot me nowwwwww, there are six (SIX!!!!) different sets of cases and pluralization and conjugation and words like велиципеди and BRAIN MELT) and learning new signs, let's just say I'll stick to learning one language at a time from here on out.

Anyways, we've been taking this ASL class so that we can communicate better with deaf people that come in to the Apple store.  I took three or four classes of ASL when I was in college, so this class is mostly a review for me--but I have still learned a ton of new things.  I'm not fluent by any means, but it's so cool to be able to carry on a conversation with a deaf person and not feel totally frozen because you don't want to look like an idiot.

Deaf people are the most expressive, funniest people I've ever known.  They know how to tell stories and they are so good at it.  They have a way of describing situations so vividly that they are instantly relatable.  It's is such a beautiful language because it's a visual language.  All of those cues we give each other when we are speaking, like lowering our eyebrows when we're angry or raising them if we are asking a yes/no question, are magnified in ASL.  Facial expressions are part of the grammar and can drastically change the meaning of the entire sentence, which is brilliant and beautiful to watch at the same time.

My ASL teacher showed us this video in class the other day, and I thought it was so dang cute.  I love seeing all the signs and the expressiveness. It makes my heart smile. I think you'll like it too.



 Also: the girl that speaks in the beginning is adorbz.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something.